Borekas With Potato And Cheese

by Linda Capeloto Sendowski on December 14, 2009

chicken cutlets cheesecakes shabbat dinner 114-114-3

Consumed in great quantities, loved by all, the flaky dough and flavorful fillings beckon you to eat yet another one, the irresistible Boreka.  Borekas are usually a savory, but occasionally sweet filled turnover.  There are many kinds of dough and infinite variety of fillings.  Versions can be found in Turkey, in Israel,and throughout the Middle East.  Sephardic Jews, or broadly speaking those with Spanish origins, from Turkey and the Greek Island of Rhodes traditionally eat this dairy filled version at holiday lunches along with a long list of other traditional items.  I have many fond memories of this as a child in Seattle.  My borekas are petite and crisp with an intense cheese flavor but not too salty.

Filling:

2 teaspoons salt

1 cup ice cold water

3/4 cup vegetable oil, preferably safflower

1 beaten egg for the egg wash

2 ounces Parmesan cheese grated

Preheat oven to 400 °.

Slice the potato in ¼ inch slices, place in a sauce pan with enough water to cover and boil for about 15 minutes or until soft enough to mash.  Drain and mash the potato once it is soft enough. While the potato is still hot, add the feta cheese into the potato.  Add the other cheeses and use a potato masher to blend.  Then switch to a wooden spoon and add the eggs and mix.  The heat from the potatoes will melt the cheeses, but by the time, you add the eggs they will not cook.  Set aside to cool while you prepare the dough or refrigerate up to one day until you have time to make them.  The filling will stiffen as it cools.

For the dough, combine the flour and salt in a medium size mixing bowl.  Whisk the cold water and oil together in a two cup glass measure.  Add the liquid to the flour.  Gather the dough together in a ball with your hands, making sure all is incorporated. Make two batches of dough for this amount of filling.  The dough should be very pliable, yet formable into a shape,  and easy to roll out but not sticky.

Separate each batch of dough into 42 walnut size balls.  With your fingers roll the balls until smooth.  Smooth balls roll out easier and create a more uniform boreka. Roll each ball out to about a 3 inch in diameter round using a wooden rolling pin.  Take care not to roll the rolling pin over the edges of your rounds or the edges will be thin and centers thick.

Portion out the filling to accommodate the 84 balls you have made.  To assemble the borekas, place a tablespoon of filling in the center of each round of dough.  Portion out the filling to accommodate the 84 balls you have made.  Fold the rounds into half-moons.  Pinch the edges shut and twist the edge forming a rope design (repulgo).  To achieve the rope edge hold the boreka in you left hand, edge side out, using you right thumb and index finger, pinch the left edge of the corner, give a little pull and fold it forward and seal to create the first scallop on the rope.  Repeat as finely as possible across the edge to the right until you have an overlapping sealed edge of scallops.  To keep it simple, just seal the edges with the tines of a fork taking care not stretch the edge to thin.

You will need 4 one half sheet baking pans.  Use silpat liners if you like, and save some scrubbing.  Place 21 borekas on each baking sheet (3 columns of seven).  Space them evenly.  Brush each one with egg wash, being careful not get egg on the baking sheet.

Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese.  Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until and golden.  Remove from the baking sheets and place on cooling racks.

BOREKAS may be frozen and reheated.  You can also freeze them before baking single layer on a cookie sheet and later transfer to a zip lock bag when frozen hard.  Bake when needed.

Boreka Pictures 1003
sig
Print This Print This | PDF version

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Nurit - 1 family. friendly. Food. October 26, 2009 at 10:54 AM

These look great! And the filling sounds very tasty.

Jean at The Delightful Repast
Twitter: delightfulrepas
September 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Linda, wish we’d had a chance to chat at camp on Saturday. It was the first time I had ever heard of borekas–now they’re all I can think about! The Jewish version of the pasties and other savory pies of my English heritage. Can’t wait to try these cheese and potato ones.

Amy Turiel Pavia April 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Hi Linda,
I simply cannot thank you enough for sharing this recipe for cheese and potato borekas. Like members of your family, my father’s parents were Sephardic Jews who emigrated from Rhodes. My dad grew up among extended family and other Rhodeslies in Brooklyn, NY and so, of course, grew up eating many of the traditional foods they brought with them from home. To help celebrate my dad’s 80th birthday, I wanted to make him borekas like the ones he ate growing up (and the ones I remembered eating as a child when I visited my grandfather or other relatives from “the old country”). I found recipes for borekas in various cookbooks but, until I found your website, didn’t find any that sounded like the ones we ate. When I read the recipe and saw the pictures, I knew I’d found what I was looking for. This past weekend, when my dad opened the wrapped container of boreka’s I made using your recipe, he literally swooned. He was so moved, he got teary-eyed; I’m not sure any other gift could’ve meant more to him. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

P.S. Maybe biscotios for Father’s Day??? :)

Linda Capeloto Sendowski
Twitter: theborekadiary
April 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Dear Amy, When I receive comments like yours I am so happy, thrilled and gratified, I guess this is why I write the blog. Thank you so much for your kind words. I noticed that your, I am assuming, maiden name was Turiel. My father’s mother, my grandmother was Esther Turiel then Capeloto.

Rachel December 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Hello! I want to make this for a Hanukkah party I’m having – would they work as well shaped in a traditional boreka style (like these http://www.theglobaljewishkitchen.com/2011/05/23/borekas-de-handrajo/)?

Thanks!
rachel

Rachel December 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Linda Capeloto Sendowski
Twitter: theborekadiary
December 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Hi Rachel, Ok, I think I understand what you are asking. You could use the dough from the boyus recipe and fill them with potato cheese filling. Yes no problem, You could use the boreka dough and fill them with spinach and cheese, no problem. To make the dough of the boyus in the shape of borekas, I don’t think would work since boyus is a very thin dough like filo, and needs to be rolled to make layers. Boreka dough is like pie dough a ‘short’ crust that is thicker and bakes up crispy. Change the fillings around, but the shape is good for the individual kinds of dough. Have a wonderful Hanukah party. I am working on a menu and date for one also.

Stella Nemeth August 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Thank you for the boreka recipe. My mother also came from Rhodes and the Turkish mainland just across the way. And since one of my Great Grandmothers was a Capoloto, who knows. I’m convinced that if you have Rhodes roots, you are all related to some extent, if you go back far enough.

Melanie Curtis November 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Hello Linda, I love your site and have also become insane for borekas, much to the joy of some in my synagogue who have fond memories of them. Your pumpkin borekas are quite addicting! However, I made the potato-cheese borekas last night, and while they look gorgeous, they are rather dry. I had substituted sharp provolone for the kasseri cheese (could not find it where I live). Do you have any suggestions?

A Bit of Brooklyn January 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

These remind me of the borekas I get whenever I visit Israel… can’t wait to try out the recipe, thank you!

Margaret Benbassat Motola November 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Hello Linda, Love your recipe for Borekas, l never used potatoes before… my folks were from Istanbul ( ‘stambol’) but went to England , London where l was born. Live her in Rhode Island for the past 40 years…. Im looking for a recipe for Tarama,but not made with the usual Cod roe, the roe my Mother used was a granular roe and it was not made as a puree, the grains were still very visible,in a sauce that was lemony and olive oil & l don’t know what else, maybe its not called Tarama, but thats all l knew it by… anyway l have never been able to find anyone who knows what lm talking about.. Im hoping you will have the answer… All the best, looking forward to hearing from you… Margaret…

Margaret Benbassat Motola November 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Hello Linda. I am looking for a recipe for a particular kind of Tarama …. my Mom used to make it from the roe that was grainy not shad roe and it was not as a puree, you still saw the grains in a lemon and olive oil ( don’t know what else).. sauce… Hope you are able to help me in this quest….. Many thanks. Margaret