Agristada

by Linda Capeloto Sendowski on April 16, 2011

sorbetto agristada lemon tart 015-4-3

While we are on the subject of Huevo Limon for Passover, Nona also made a Huevo Limon soup called Agristada.  I was asking my sister Carole about it and she said it is her favorite comfort food to this day.

The creamy looking lemon soup reveals little parsley and ground beef meat balls floating just beneath the surface. This may be an acquired taste but once initiated it is delicious.

To make this lemony soup you need:

1 pound of ground chuck meat

2/3 cup chopped parsley

2 eggs

½ cup matzo meal

Salt and pepper

Then:

1 and ½ cups cold water

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

1 tablespoon matzo cake meal

Juice from 1.5 to2 lemons (depending on how juicy they are and your taste)

Salt and Pepper

Combine the ground chuck, parsley, eggs, and matzo meal in a mixing bowl.  Season the meat ball mix with salt and pepper to you taste.  Roll little round meat balls in your hands and place them on a sheet of waxed paper.  Heat a non stick skillet and cook the meatballs until they are seared golden on the outside and cooked through.  Set them aside while you prepare the soup.

Beat the eggs with the egg yolk in a small bowl.  Add the lemon juice and then the cake meal and whisk until smooth.  Bring the cold water to boil in a large saucepan. Take 2 tablespoons of the boiling water and add it to the bowl with the eggs and lemon.  Whisk rapidly to heat the eggs with the hot water.  Add two more tablespoons of boiling water, whisk again.  Next add the eggs and lemon right back into the boiling water and whisk to heat.  Do not let the water, egg, lemon mixture come to a boil.  Keep whisking while it simmers and it will become thick and smooth…  Do not boil.  Add the cooked meatballs to the soup and season with salt and pepper.  Serve with chopped parsley sprinkled on top.

I don’t think I would serve this to a large crowd since it is tricky.  Make it for yourself for lunch or when you have no guests.  Enjoy your little secret treat.

Print This Print This | PDF version

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

megi April 17, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Hi Linda, I am a such a big fan of the egg and lemon sauce! The meat balls with egg and lemon sauce is one of my favorite dishes, so glad you posted this recipe, we make it slightly differently but I’ll be trying your version today. Thank you for sharing your recipes, gorgeous photos and stories with us Linda. I wish you and your family a very happy and sweet Passover.

Greek Girl from Queens April 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I’ve never tried this recipe (either making it or eating it), but after reading this, my curiosity has definitely been piqued, and so I think I just might try to make it sooner rather than later. As always, you’ve inspired me. Wishing you and your family, and Megi and Norma and your families, and everyone else who’s a regular Boreka Diary enthusiast a very joyous Passover.

Norma April 17, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the wonderful Passover Recipes you posted. I am looking forward to trying this recipe as well as the leek and potato kuftes later this week. I have always made the leek kuftes with meat–this variation sounds very good.

Wishing you and your family, Greek Girl , Megi and all your readers a very Happy and Healthy Passover.

megi April 18, 2011 at 3:56 AM

Dear Linda, I made your agristada recipe yesterday and we loved it. It was absolutely delicious, thank you so much for sharing.

I wish you, Norma, Greek Girl and your families a very happy, healthy and joyous Passover.

Norma April 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Hi Linda,

I made the agristada recipe today and it came out great. My family loved it. They want it year round. Another winner from your blog!!!!

Thank you for sharing .

Norma

suzan February 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

My grandma used to do agristada without the kofte, meat balls.I never liked it as a child but now I wan tto do for my Ashkenaz hubby and his family !!! do you also have recipe for burmuelos and lajadas? Those 2 were my favorite in my childhood during pesah.
My gandma was a” frying”expert her burmuelos were always so puffy and delicious and not oily at all, I miss eating them.
thanks for your blos, it brings back all childhood memories

Linda Capeloto Sendowski
Twitter: theborekadiary
February 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Hi Susan, I think I posted a Passover burmuelo recipe on the site, check the recipe index or here is the link . Please tell me what lajadas are? Did you mean lechettas? Best regards Linda